That’s right! You read correctly, these delicious snacks are not only healthy little balls of energy, but they’re a spin on Reese’s peanut butter cups! *Cue screams of joy* haha.
Sometimes, “real” food can sound exhausting and you just want something quick and easy to throw in you bag and be on your way for “lunch,” or as a snack to tie you over until dinner and avoid those mid-afternoon munchies.
Here is my solution: Energy bites!
They’ll be ready in less than 15 minutes, and only require 5 ingredients! What’s better, they’re naturally sweetened (meaning they’re refined sugar-free), and actually taste like a peanut butter cup (only better, cause ya know, they’re healthy 😝).
Warmer weather down here in Aus has meant more adventuring out in the wilderness on my part, so I’ve been really into snacky things lately. Just something I can pull out of my bag and eat on-the-go as I’m hiking.
Get on board.
Before we get started in learning how to make these NEXT LEVEL pb cup energy bites – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes and tips I share!
Ok, here we go!
Peanut Butter Cup Energy Balls
I originally got the recipe from Minimalist Baker (she’s awesome!), but I tweaked the recipe over time as; 1. I learnt I’m intolerant to oats, so they’ve become a big no-no in my diet, and 2. I like experimenting with new flavour variations 😉
So! If you’re not keen on any of the ingredients I suggest or recommend, please feel free to change them up to suit you and your dietary preferences. These gems are totally customisable. If you’re not a fan of peanut butter, no biggy, feel free to sub it out for another nut butter of your choosing. Not into chocolate, that’s cool, leave it out and simply add in more chia seeds and quinoa. Haven’t heard of chia seeds/not a favourite of yours, sub in flax or hemp seeds. It’s that easy my friends (which is why I love these as a snack so much! You can mix and match them however you like!).
These guys are so good, you’ll find it challenging to stop at just one. They’re not only seriously delicious, but tender, crunchy (from the chia seeds), peanut buttery, wholesome, naturally sweetened, and chocolatey.
Hikes? Travel? Road trips? Runs? Long walks on the beach? These are the snacks for you.
If you try this recipe, you now the drill. Let me know by leaving a comment or taking a picture and tagging it #simplynaturalnessa on Instagram (or feel free to tag me personally @simplynaturalnessa)! I absolutely love seeing what you come up with and create. Cheers!
- 1 cup dates (pitted // if dry, soak in warm water for 10 minutes, then drain well)
- 3 tbsp all-natural salted peanut or almond butter
- 1/4 cup dairy-free dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (or sub flax or hemp seeds)
- 2/3 cup quinoa flakes
- Pulse pitted dates in a food processor or blender until they’re in small pieces or it forms a ball of date mixture.
- Add quinoa flakes, chocolate, chia seeds and peanut butter and pulse or mix until combined.
- You want there to be consistently small pieces but not overly processed so it becomes mush.
- Carefully roll into 1-inch balls, using the warmth of your hands to mould them together. Should make around 14-15 balls.
- To set them, pop in fridge or freezer for 15 minutes. Otherwise, eat as is!
- They’ll keep fresh in an air-tight container for up to a week. Freeze if you’re planning on storing them long-term.
I hope you love them!! xoxo
Lots of love,