Ear infections… my worst nightmare. I had an ear infection once or twice during my childhood, and to treat them I took antibiotics. Standard, right?
A couple of years ago I got a staph skin infection on my face, which ended up spreading to my left ear. Up until then I was treating it quite successfully using natural methods and remedies, but once it got into my ear canal I thought it was time to take the antibiotics, as I was worried it would do damage if left too long.
The antibiotics did the trick (I was also applying an antibacterial topical cream into my ear to kill off the bacteria too), and my staph infection disappeared! Buuuuut, it left its mark. My ear wasn’t really the same after that. When I went swimming, water would lodge in my ear, which never happened before, and I had the starting’s of an ear infection, but it never eventuated, it just felt off. I thought the staph infection might have left my ear drum swollen, so my left ear canal shrunk, which was why I had trouble draining my ear after swimming.
Fast forward to the beginning of this year, 2020, I saw the doctor about my ear again as I was having real trouble with it. It felt blocked with ear wax, but I couldn’t get rid of it. I used cotton buds, and a reusable metal utensil called a Mimikaki stick to clean my ears, but it just wouldn’t budge. Any who, the doctor prescribed Waxsol, which I’m sure has worked for many people before me, but while it did remove the ear wax in my ear, I think I left it on too long because it ended up burning my eardrum, so my ear felt raw and tender for a week afterwards. Since then my ear has been SUPER irritated. Itchy, sore, blocked, you name it.
I went to my naturopath a month ago because I’d just had it. My ear was irritating me more than ever, and I felt it was only getting worse. Any who, I found out I had fungal and bacterial growth (big time!) in my ear (and a little in my right ear, too), which explained the extreme irritation. So, what she prescribed I do was what I’m about to share with you below. I swear, after 1 week I noticed major improvements. It’s been a month now and my ear is finally feeling like its old self again! My eardrum is still smaller than it used to be, so I’m much more wary when I go swimming with it, but I’m hoping it’ll settle down and hopefully repair itself on its own with due time.
So! Super long story short, this natural home remedy I’m about to share with you has been a blessing, it’s helped my ear more than any other treatment I’ve tried, and I hope it can be of help to you, too. Pairing this home remedy with infrared saunas will greatly improve the results, as detoxing will help expel the bacteria and fungi much more quickly.
Anyway, here it is! The magic treatment you’ve all been waiting for! 😉
If you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!
Home remedy for treating ear infections (both fungal & bacterial)
Note: it was recommended by my naturopath to do this 2 times a day, but if my ear was exceptionally irritated, I was to do it 3 times a day.
The home remedy I’m sharing with you today is basically a natural, homemade version of ear drops. It’s full of antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial properties to help fight off infection naturally.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- egg cup
- Boiling water
- Essential oils such as chamomile, lavender or tea tree
- Start by filling your egg cup about 1-2 inches of the way with olive oil,
- Place egg cup containing olive oil in bowl then pour boiling water into bowl making sure to cover egg cup but not allow the water to flow in (you just want to heat up the oil inside).
- Once the oil is warm, NOT hot (you can test a sample on the underside of your wrist, the skin is thin there, so it can feel changes in temperature much more effectively. Your ears are a very sensitive area, and should always be treated delicately to avoid damage), take the egg cup out of the water and add in 2-3 drops of either chamomile, tea tree, or lavender essential oil.
- Mix it through then grab your dropper and squeeze a few drops of the olive oil mix into your ear (until you feel it slide down your ear canal and it blocks your hearing partially). Keep your head on its side for a moment or two, then plug your ear with a cotton ball and do the same thing for the other ear. You need to do both ears, even if you don’t have an infection in the other ear, as our ears are linked, and the infection can just move across if left untreated.
- Once you’ve applied oil into both ears and plugged them up with cotton balls, you need to leave the solution in your ears until it completely absorbs, then you can remove the cotton balls (I composted mine. It’s a good idea to use organic cotton balls if possible, as conventional cotton is sprayed with a lot of pesticides and chemicals). Do NOT wash out the olive oil solution, leave it to absorb into your skin completely. Do this process 2-3 times a day until infection clears.
Note: if you find the ear drops just aren’t strong enough and you’re not noticing a huge difference overtime, try switching the olive oil up for liquid coconut oil. It’s a stronger antibacterial and gives an extra kick to the infection.
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. Also, this is no magic bullet. So if symptoms of ear infection persists, see a medical professional.
* * *
Ear infection remedy tutorial
Have you tried other natural ear infection remedies before? What worked for you? If you have a favourite natural remedy, share below! We’d love to try it too!
Lots of love,