I’d been struggling with an ongoing bacterial and fungal ear infection for 2 years with no success, until I discovered these homemade anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, ant-microbial ear drops which worked at fighting off the infection! It took longer than using antibiotics (about 1-2 months), but the upside was they didn’t have any of the side effects that antibiotics do (and helped my body to heal itself!)
Ear infections… my worst nightmare. I had an ear infection once or twice during my childhood, and to treat them I took antibiotics. Very standard.
A couple of years ago I got a staph skin infection on my face, which ended up spreading to my left ear. Up until then I was treating it quite successfully using natural methods and remedies, but once it got into my ear canal I thought it was time to take the antibiotics, as I was worried it would cause damage if left too long.
The antibiotics did the trick, and my staph infection disappeared! But, it left its mark. My ear wasn’t really the same after that. When I went swimming, my ear would waterlog, which never happened before, and I had the starting’s of an ear infection, however it never eventuated; it just made my ear feel off.
Fast forward to the beginning of this year, 2020. I saw the doctor again about my ear. It felt blocked with wax, but I whatever I tried I just could not get rid of it. The doctor prescribed Waxsol, which I’m sure has worked for many people before me, and while it did remove the ear wax, I think I left it on too long because it ended up burning my eardrum, so my ear felt raw and tender for a week afterwards. Since then my ear has been super irritated; itchy, sore, blocked, you name it.
I went to my naturopath a month ago because I’d just had it. My ear was irritating me more than ever, and I felt it was only getting worse. While there, I discovered I had fungal and bacterial growth, big time, in my left ear (and a little in my right ear). This explained the extreme irritation. She prescribed what I’m about to share with you below. I swear, after just one week I noticed major improvements. It’s been a month now and my ear is finally feeling like its old self again!
Long story short, this natural home remedy has been a blessing. It’s helped my ear more than any other treatment I’ve tried, and I hope it can be of help to you, too. Pairing this home remedy with infrared saunas will greatly improve the results, as detoxing will help expel the bacteria and fungi much more quickly.
Before we get started in learning how to make this all-natural antibacterial and antifungal ear drops – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
If you make these ear drops, please let me know! Leave a comment below, and if you take a picture and share it, please tag me on Instagram @simplynaturalnessa or use the hashtag #simplynaturalnessa so I can see! I’d love to know how you went!
DIY Antibacterial & Antifungal Ear Drops
This is no silver bullet. If symptoms of ear infection persists, see a medical professional.
It was recommended by my naturopath to do this twice a day, but if my ear was exceptionally irritated, I was to do it three times a day.
These homemade ear drops contain antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial properties to help fight off infection naturally.
- Extra virgin olive oil or fractionated coconut oil
- 1 egg cup
- 1 small bowl
- 1 dropper
- Boiling water
- 2-3 drops essential oils; either chamomile, lavender or tea tree
- Start by filling your egg cup about 1-2 inches of the way with olive oil or coconut oil.
- Place egg cup in bowl and pour boiling water into the bowl, making sure to cover egg cup up on the outside, but not allow the water to flow in.
- Once the oil is warm, NOT hot – test a sample on the underside of your wrist, the skin is thinner there so will feel temperature changes more effectively – take the egg cup out of the water and add 2-3 drops of either chamomile, tea tree or lavender oil.
- Mix it through then grab your dropper and squeeze a few drops of the olive oil mix into your ear – until you feel it slide down your ear canal and it blocks your hearing partially. Keep your head on its side for a moment or two, then plug your ear with a cotton ball and repeat for the other ear. You need to do both ears, even if you don’t have an infection in the other ear, as our ears are linked, and the infection can just move across if left untreated. Your ears are a very sensitive area, and should always be treated delicately to avoid damage.
- Once you’ve applied oil into both ears and plugged them up with cotton balls, you need to leave the solution in your ears until it completely absorbs, then you can remove the cotton balls. Organic cotton balls are preferable, as conventional cotton is sprayed with a lot of pesticide. Do NOT wash out the olive oil solution, leave it to absorb into your skin completely. Do this process 2-3 times a day until the infection clears.
If the ear drops just aren’t strong enough, and you’re not noticing a huge difference overtime, try switching the olive oil up for liquid coconut oil. It’s a stronger antibacterial and gives an extra kick to the infection.
DIY ear drops tutorial
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. It’s important to check with a doctor before taking this or any new product, especially if taking any other medicine or supplement or if pregnant or nursing. Be sure to check ingredients to make sure there is no risk of an allergic reaction.
Have you tried other natural ear infection remedies before? What worked for you? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,