How to make make a luxurious natural homemade whipped body butter with only 4 ingredients, and customise it using an array of essential oils!
I love using body butter as my go-to moisturiser, particularly in winter, because it lasts WAY longer on skin before it’s completely absorbed, leaving my skin hydrated for hours!
The butter is much thicker than a moisturiser as it contains less water, so the skin can’t soak it up as quickly, leaving the buttery cream sitting on your skin all day long.
By whipping the butter, it not only makes it soft and light, but easier to apply; rubbing into skin smoothly without being too oily.
Homemade Whipped Body Butter
This body butter is great for babies, too, or those with sensitive skin, and you can customise the scents to create a fragrance you love.
According to Our Oily House, some great essential oil to use include:
Frankincense– Great for the skin, frankincense can help reduce wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots.
Lavender– Lavender is soothing and calming, making this body butter perfect for slathering on before bed.
Wild Orange– This essential is very uplifting and refreshing. It smells amazing with the cocoa butter and it has immune-boosting properties. NOTE: If you choose wild orange for your body butter, be sure not to apply before going out in the sun. Citrus oils can cause the skin to burn when used in direct sunlight.
Peppermint– Peppermint has a cooling effect on the body and can relieve tension. Adding peppermint oil to the body butter can make it great for muscle and joint discomfort.
Bergamot– Bergamot adds a beautiful scent to the body butter and adds calming benefits. Bergamot is commonly used for stress and anxious feelings.
- 1/3 cup sweet almond oil (jojoba or olive oil work well, too)
- 1/3 cup shea butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa butter
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 20-30 drops of your favourite essential oils (I love lavender and frankincense)
- Add all the ingredients (except the essential oils) to a double boiler. I make my own double boiler by placing a heat-proof glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. Melt the ingredients, continually stirring the mixture during this time.
- Once it has melted, remove the mixture from heat and let it cool slightly. Add the essential oils (if using). My favourite is 10-15 drops each of lavender and frankincense.
- Place the bowl in the fridge until it’s set a little; about one hour or until the mixture has started to harden around the edges.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the ingredients together for around 10 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Return the fluffy butter to the fridge to finish setting for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Store the whipped body butter in a glass jar with an air-tight lid, and use as you would a regular moisturiser, lotion, or body butter. If room temperature reaches above 24˚C (75˚F), the butter may soften and will need to be kept in the fridge. The body butter should keep for around 6-8 months (when stored away from moisture and light).
This is my go-to ultra-hydrating face and body moisturiser I use to keep my skin hydrated throughout the day.
Body butter recipe tutorial
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. I am not a doctor. All opinions expressed are my own personal thoughts and feelings of the products mentioned. Check with your doctor or health practitioner if you are uncertain about trying out any of the products, recipes or tips mentioned in this post.
Have you made body butter before? How did it go? Share below.
Lots of love,
Wells, Katie. (February 18, 2019). Luxurious Homemade Whipped Body Butter. Wellness Mama. Retrieved from https://wellnessmama.com/6544/whipped-body-butter/
Laura. Homemade Whipped Body Butter with Lavender and Frankincense Essential Oils. Our Oily House. Retrieved from https://www.ouroilyhouse.com/homemade-whipped-body-butter-with-lavender-and-frankincense-essential-oils/
Homemade Whipped Body Butter Recipe. Little Green Dot. Retrieved from https://littlegreendot.com/homemade-body-butter-recipe/
Tiffany. (November 28, 2015). Body Butter Recipe. Coconut Mama. Retrieved from https://thecoconutmama.com/homemade-body-butter/
Sakawsky, Anna. (November 22, 2019). Homemade Whipped Body Butter Recipe. The House and Homestead. Retrieved from https://thehouseandhomestead.com/homemade-body-butter/
Diana. How to Make Homemade Whipped Body Butter. Dreams Factory. Retrieved from https://bydreamsfactory.com/2016/12/homemade-whipped-body-butter.html/
Winger, Jill. (Updated: June 15, 2020). Whipped Body Butter Recipe. The Prairie Homestead. https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2014/12/whipped-body-butter-recipe.html