An all-natural, toxin-free hand soap you can whip up in minutes.
I started making my own hand soap for a few reasons:
- Because it was way more cost-effective
- It was better for the environment, as I didn’t go through o many plastic dispenser bottles, and the ingredients used were less harmful on our beautiful oceans and ecosystems
- It’s all-natural, so no toxic ingredients make their way into my body; and
- It allowed me to avoid anything antibacterial.
Antibacterial soaps and products have been shown to impact the gut microbiome (gut bacteria) in a negative way.
Exposing the body to these antibacterial substances has led to the development of antibiotic resistance, and may be a contributing factor to hormone disruption, too. The overuse of these chemicals has even taken its toll on the environment; when washed away down the sink, these chemicals enter our waterways, and even after treatment, antibacterial chemicals are still being found in waterways and streams all over the world.
Algae and marine life appear to be most affected, showing alarming rates of these chemicals in their blood.
But We Need Antibacterial Chemicals to Properly Clean our Hands…
Actually, this may not be true. Plain soap and water have been proven to be just as effective as antibacterial soaps, without the risk. This homemade natural soap is not antibacterial, but still works just as well.
Note: If you are concerned about the lack of antibacterial ingredients included in this foaming soap recipe, you can add some natural antibacterial agents to the soap. Simply include things like fractionated coconut oil, and a blend of germ-fighting essential oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, clove, tea tree, and cinnamon leaf (if you have sensitive skin, use less essential oils).
Before we get started in learning how to make this natural foaming soap – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
Homemade Foaming Hand Soap
Before beginning, find a foaming hand soap dispenser; either buy a bottle of natural foaming hand soap and reuse the bottle after the soap has been used, or ask a friend if you can use their finished soap dispenser.
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water (distilled or boiled is preferable, but if you’re going to use it within a few weeks, normal water is fine)
- 2 tbsp liquid castile soap
- 1 tsp olive oil (or argan, almond, or jojoba oil)
- 15 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5-10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- Add the water to soap dispenser (you want to add the water first, not the soap, otherwise it will create bubbles), leaving about 1-2 inches at the top.
- Add the liquid castile soap, oil and essential oils, then close the lid and lightly swish to mix.
- Before use, gently swish the soap to ensure the ingredients are no longer separated, then use as you would any regular foaming soap.
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. I am not a doctor. All opinions expressed are my own personal thoughts and feelings of the products mentioned. Check with your doctor or health practitioner if you are uncertain about trying out any of the products, recipes or tips mentioned in this post.
Have you made soap before in the past? How did it go? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,
Wells, Katie. (January 23, 2019). Why I DON’T Use Antibacterial Soap. Wellness Mama. Retrieved from https://wellnessmama.com/24964/antibacterial-soap/
Johnson, Lindsey. (October 23, 2014). DIY: Coconut Oil Antibacterial Foaming Hand Soap. Hello Glow. Retrieved from https://helloglow.co/diy-coconut-oil-antibacterial-foaming-hand-soap/
Wells, Katie. (January 23, 2019). Liquid Hand Soap Recipe. Wellness Mama. Retrieved from https://wellnessmama.com/35665/liquid-hand-soap-recipe/
Wells, Katie. (January 23, 2019). DIY Foaming Hand Soap. Wellness Mama. Retrieved from https://wellnessmama.com/8631/foaming-hand-soap/
Marr, Kristin. DIY Homemade Liquid Hand Soap. Live Simply. Retrieved from https://livesimply.me/2014/09/02/diy-homemade-liquid-hand-soap/
Gerber, Stephanie. (August 25, 2020). How to Make Your Own Foaming Hand Soap. Hello Nest. Retrieved from https://hellonest.co/handwashing-trick/
Maslowski, Debra. Learn How to Make the Best DIY Foaming Hand Soap. DIY Natural. Retrieved from https://www.diynatural.com/foaming-hand-soap/
Bren. (March 24, 2020). Easy All-Natural Homemade Foaming Hand Soap. Bren Did. Retrieved from https://brendid.com/easy-all-natural-foaming-hand-soap-diy/
Claire. Homemade foaming hand wash. Claire K Creations. Retrieved from https://www.clairekcreations.com/homemade-foaming-hand-wash/