An all-natural DIY hair growth serum that helps promote stronger, thicker hair. Use it overnight for faster results.
Most over-the-counter hair growth treatments contain minoxidil, a chemical which only works as long as the treatment is being used. As soon as treatment stops, hair growth stops, too.
According to Hello Glow;
Over 55 million men and women struggle with hair loss every day. And as we get older, our hair loss increases.
Now, my hair is quite a ‘slow-grower‘, so it takes months and months for it to grow just a few inches.
Fun fact: There are four phases of hair growth; anagen, catagen, telogen, and exogen. Each phase lasts for a different length of time.
Anagen is the growing phase (at any time, about 90% of the hairs on your head are in this phase – can last about 3-5 years); catagen is the transition phase (hair follicles shrink and hair growth slows); telogen is the resting phase (typically lasts around 3 months); and the exogen is the shedding phase (losing 50-100 hairs per day during this phase is normal – can last about 2-5 months).
So, rather than go to a dermatologist or beautician to boost hair growth, I went to my pantry.
Before we get started in learning how to make this nourishing hair serum – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
If you make this hair growth serum, please let me know! Leave a comment below, and if you take a picture and share it, please tag me on Instagram @simplynaturalnessa or use the hashtag #simplynaturalnessa so I can see! I’d love to know how you went!
DIY Hair Growth Serum
This serum uses a combination of herbs and essential oils that are good for scalp health and hair growth:
- Aloe vera gel: Great for soothing and moisturising the scalp, and promotes silky soft hair.
- Nettle leaf: Helps to combat hair loss and stimulate hair growth. Nettle leaves are rich in silica and sulphur which helps make hair shinier and healthier.
- Horsetail leaf: Rich in silica, it helps to reduce hair fall and breakage by strengthening and protecting hair.
- Clary sage essential oil: Promotes hair growth and stimulates the scalp.
- Lavender essential oil: It gives hair a deep conditioning, which helps to keep it shiny and prevent dandruff.
- Peppermint essential oil: Contains stimulating effects, so is considered beneficial for hair growth.
- Geranium essential oil: Beneficial in supporting scalp health and hair growth.
- Rosemary essential oil: Beneficial for a number of issues, including dandruff, lice, oily hair, and is stimulating for the scalp. Did you know: Rosemary branches were used as hair brushes to help remedy issues like dandruff and hair loss. According to Hello Glow;
A study comparing the use of minoxidil and rosemary essential oil for hair loss found that individuals in both groups had a significant increase in hair count after 6 months and that there was no significant difference between the two groups. This suggests that rosemary may be an effective natural alternative to minoxidil.
- Cypress essential oil: An ingredient often used in many hair treatment products because of its ability to increase blood circulation and strengthen capillary health. Cypress oil also helps to balance sebum (oil) secretion of the scalp, encouraging new and healthy hair growth.
- Tea Tree essential oil: Supports scalp health by improving blood circulation and removing toxins from the scalp.
- Argan oil: Rich in fatty acids, particularly oleic acids, which are known for strengthening hair.
- Jojoba oil: Similar to the oil (sebum) produced on skin, this oil makes a wonderful addition to help balance out skin and scalp oil production.
- 1 tbsp argan oil
- 1 tbsp jojoba oil
- 1 cup water, boiled
- 2 tbsp dried nettle leaf
- 2 tbsp horsetail leaf
- 2 tbsp pure aloe vera gel
- 10 drops of clary sage essential oil
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 8 drops peppermint essential oil
- 4 drops geranium essential oil
- 4 drops cypress essential oil
- 4 drops tea tree essential oil
- Start by boiling the water, then add in the dried nettle leaf and horsetail leaf. Let steep for around 15-20 minutes, or until the water cools.
- Next, strain out the herbs (can compost them) and pour the liquid into a glass spray bottle.
- Add in the oils, aloe vera and essential oils then shake well to combine.
- This serum lasts up to 3 months when stored in the fridge. Always shake well before use.
There are a few different ways this serum can be used:
- Spray a generous amount onto roots of hair 1-2 times per day. For me, it worked best when I sprayed it on my hair before going to bed each night (I left it in overnight).
- Spray liberal amounts onto hair, then massage into the scalp for 3–5 minutes. Let sit for 20 minutes, then can either leave in or shampoo and condition as needed.
- Use as a conditioner by spraying onto hair; lightly coating from roots to tips. Leave on for 20 minutes, then shampoo and condition as usual.
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. It’s important to check with a doctor before taking this or any new product, especially if taking any other medicine or supplement or if pregnant or nursing. Be sure to check ingredients to make sure there is no risk of an allergic reaction to it.
What are some of your natural tips for promoting hair growth? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,
Wells, Katie. (January 23, 2019). DIY Hair Growth Serum Recipe. Wellness Mama. Retrieved from https://wellnessmama.com/3593/hair-growth-serum/
Gupta, Sakshi. (May 15, 2018). 21 Amazing Benefits Of Nettle Leaf For Skin, Hair, And Health. Style Craze. Retrieved from https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-nettle-leaf-for-skin-hair-and-health/#gref
Essential Oils for Your Hair. (December 10, 2018). WebMD. Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/beauty/natural-oils
Roland, James. (September 25, 2020). What Are the Four Stages of Hair Growth?. Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/stages-of-hair-growth#shedding-phase
Stine, Nicole. (February 4, 2021). 7 Essential Oils for Hair Growth + DIY Hair Growth Serum. Hello Glow. Retrieved from https://helloglow.co/essential-oils-for-hair-growth/
Isabella. (October 6, 2016). TOP 5 Essential Oils for Hair Growth. Isabella’s Clearly. Retrieved from https://www.isabellasclearly.com/blog/top-5-essential-oils-for-hair-growth
8 Simple Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil for Hair. Kama Ayurveda. Retrieved from https://www.kamaayurveda.com/blog/tea-tree-oil-for-hair/
Bianca. Easy DIY Hair Growth Serum Recipe with Essential Oils (It works for me!). The Blog Stuff. Retrieved from https://www.theblogstuff.com/diy-hair-growth-serum/
4 DIY Hair Growth Serum Recipes for Thicker, Fuller Hair. (September 21, 2019). DIY Experience. Retrieved from https://diyexperience.com/diy-hair-growth-serum/