I absolutely love banana bread, but it can be challenging to find a vegan gluten-free version when out and about with friends and family at cafes and such. The most recent one I had turned out to be dry and crumbly. Which is not something you want when biting into a delicious piece of banana bread.
After this experience I went in search of a recipe I could whip up at home in the kitchen, and take out with me on picnics and dates with friends to enjoy on-the-go! This recipe was adapted from The Simple Veganista’s recipe, and uses wholefood, natural ingredients you probably already have on hand! I’ve made this recipe again and again, and have even created mini banana muffins using this same recipe, and added chocolate chips to them! This recipe has been a hit every time! If you’re not a fan of choc chips, you could add walnuts instead (which taste just as good).
Tips for Making the Perfect Banana Bread
A few of the tips I gained from The Simple Veganista were to:
Spoon & level the flour: When measuring out the flour for the recipe, rather than scooping the flour with a measuring cup, use a spoon to scoop the flour into the measuring cup (without packing it), and level with the back of a knife. This helps ensure you don’t add to much flour (which can cause the bread to become too dry).
Avoid Overmixing the Batter: Overmixing the ingredients can cause the proteins in the flour to create an elastic batter that may not rise very well. You only want to mix until you see no more flour streaks in the batter.
Before we get started in learning how to make this incredibly moist, healthy banana bread – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes and tips I share!
If you make this banana bread, please let me know! Leave a comment below, and if you take a picture and share it, please tag me on Instagram @simplynaturalnessa or use the hashtag #simplynaturalnessa so I can see! I’d love to know how it went for you!
Now, without further ado, let’s whip this bread up!
Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
This delicious banana bread recipe is moist, healthy, and suuuper easy to make! It’s egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and best of all, super adaptable! Feel free to add in chopped walnuts, chocolate chips (mini or regular), cinnamon, or any other ingredient you’d like!
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup organic coconut sugar (or finely chopped dates)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of mineral salt (I used pink Himalayan salt)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted), or vegan butter at room temp or applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 small or 3 large overripe bananas (mashed)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease your loaf pan (I used coconut oil to grease the tin).
- In a medium/large size bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas then add in the oil, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined, make sure not to overmix though.
- Next, add in the almond milk and combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake for about 50 mins – 1 hour or until golden brown. You can test it using a fork or knife by simply inserting the fork into the centre of the loaf, and if it comes out clean it’s ready. Ovens vary, mine usually takes around 50 minutes to bake.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 mins before slicing.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. It will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Simply thaw the wrapped loaves overnight in the refrigerator, and reheat in the microwave.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Lots of love,