Tofu scramble, a vegan alternative to scrambled eggs.
Eggs Benedict, avocado on toast with a side of eggs, scrambled eggs on toast, eggs with “soldiers”…
There are so many egg dishes out there that are just waiting to be recreated into healthy vegan alternatives.
The first time I had tofu scramble was in a café up on the Sunshine Coast, and Oh. My. God. It was amazing.
After that I wanted to recreate it myself so I could have it anytime I wanted.
The foods I missed the most when I went vegan were cream, custard, and eggs. I went cold turkey when switching to veganism, and it’s been such a journey since; learning a whole new way of cooking, and whipping up something new and extraordinary every day.
One of these being this breakfast of champions!
Before we get started in learning how to make this super easy, delicious, healthy tofu scramble – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
How to make Tofu Scramble
Not just a breakfast option, but lunch, dinner, or anything in between! This recipe only requires 4 ingredients and takes less than 15 minutes to make.
I learnt that there are other ways you can make a vegan scramble, like using chickpea flour or canned or cooked chickpeas, and I can share future recipes on how to make a scramble like that, too, if you like?
But for now, this recipe has been my go-to because of its simplicity.
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (reduce amount for less salty “eggs”)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
To serve (optional):
- Coriander (cilantro)
- Spring onions
- Breakfast potatoes, toast, avocado, etc.
- Drain tofu well, and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Roughly chop the tofu into smaller pieces, then use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Add some water or oil ( I use coconut oil) to a frying pan and set on medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, add the tofu and rest of the ingredients.
- Stir well until combined, then let cook for 5-10 minutes, or until tofu is slightly browned. Make sure to occasionally stir the tofu to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve immediately with breakfast potatoes, toast, avocado, spinach or veggies, and garnish with spring onions or coriander. Alternatively, freeze for up to 1 month and reheat on the stovetop.
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. I am not a doctor. All opinions expressed are my own personal thoughts and feelings of the products mentioned. Check with your doctor or health practitioner if you are uncertain about trying out any of the products, recipes or tips mentioned in this post.
Have you made tofu scramble before? What was it like? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,