How to make thick, creamy acai bowls from start to finish, as well as a few simple ways to cut fruit aesthetically to give your bowl a café-style feel.
If you have never made a smoothie bowl or aren’t sure how to get that desired thick and creamy consistency, you’ve come to the right place. I’ll be sharing exactly how to do that today, as well as my favourite go-to acai bowl recipe that I love to whip up whenever I’m in the mood for acai. A good blender or food processor is definitely needed to make thick acai. I recently got a Vitamix and it’s been the best thing to make thick smoothies and acai bowls with.
I’ll be using acai powder today rather than the frozen acai purée, as it’s the only plastic-free acai I could find. I source it from my local bulk foods store, The Source Bulk Foods, and keep the powder stored in a glass jar in my cupboard for when I’m craving acai.
To make it super thick and creamy, you’ll want to add as little liquid as possible. Sometimes you may even get away with using no liquid at all, but it just depends on your blender. This is where a good high speed blender comes in handy. I’ve found a Vitamix works best for this. Also, using frozen banana will help you achieve that thick acai bowl consistency. Blended frozen banana is key to getting that beautiful thickness that you just can’t replicate with ice or with using fresh banana.
Here are some of the health benefits of acai if you’re interested…
Acai Health Benefits
- It contains vitamins A, B, C and E, as well as zinc, iron, copper, manganese, magnesium, chromium, potassium, phosphorus and calcium
- Contains healthy fats such as omega-3
- High in amino acids – 19 different amino acids are found in the acai berries
- Rich source of fibre
- May help enhance brain function
- May improve heart health
- Loaded with antioxidants
- May help maintain healthy skin
(Read more here).
Before we get started in learning how to make delicious thick, creamy acai – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
If you make this acai bowl, please let me know! Leave a comment below, and if you take a picture and share it, please tag me on Instagram @simplynaturalnessa or use the hashtag #simplynaturalnessa so I can see! I’d love to know how you went!
Thick Creamy Acai Bowl
Some of my favourite toppings to use on acai bowls (or any sort of smoothie bowl for that matter) are fresh mango, banana, strawberries, passionfruit, lychee, raw shredded coconut, blueberries, chocolate chips and/or granola!
- 2-3 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2-1 cup frozen mango
- 1-2 tbsp acai powder or 2 acai purée packets
- Handful of ice (if using acai powder)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Add all the ingredients to a high powered blender, and blend and mash repeatedly until you see a thick, creamy swirl start to form.
- Pour into two bowls or your favourite glass jars and top with your favourite toppings! Again I love to top my bowls with fresh mango, banana, strawberries, passionfruit, lychee, raw shredded coconut, blueberries, chocolate chips and/or granola. Enjoy!
DIY thick creamy acai bowl tutorial
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. It’s important to check with a doctor before taking this or any new product, especially if taking any other medicine or supplement or if pregnant or nursing. Be sure to check ingredients to make sure there is no risk of an allergic reaction.
Have you made acai bowls before? How did it go? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,