Yes indeed, consuming sugar is unhealthy for you, however, rubbing it on the skin can be incredibly moisturising and exfoliating!
I use sugar scrubs on both my face and body to remove dead skin cells and help moisturise, with the result being silky smooth skin!
If you’re new to making your own natural beauty products (or even if you’ve been making them for years!), I strongly encourage you to give these sugar scrub recipes a go.
Why Use Sugar Scrubs?
Skin needs some TLC to stay healthy, and switching to more natural beauty products and cosmetics can help ensure your skin stays nourished while eliminating harmful toxins found in conventional products.
This may mean that you might be saying goodbye to some of your favourite products, but don’t let that get you down. In my experience, a natural skincare routine can work just as well, and is just as good for you.
This is just a quick run-through of my skincare routine that I’ve adopted at the moment:
- Dry brush before I shower
- Exfoliate and moisturise with a sugar scrub in the shower
- Rub a natural lotion over my skin after my shower
- Cleanse my face with oil, applying a facial sugar scrub around 1-2 times a week for exfoliation
Sugar scrubs also make a wonderful DIY gift idea. Simply put them in a jar with a decorative label, and voila! Your very own pampering gift. (Here’s my full DIY pamper pack gift idea filled with goodies!)
DIY Sugar Scrub Recipe
This scrub takes less than 10 minutes to make and you can customise them to any scent you like!
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar (brown or white)
- 1/2 cup oil (coconut or olive oil work really well)
- Optional: essential oils of your choosing
- 1 small wide-mouth mason jar
- Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a mason jar.
- Use 1 tbsp as needed in the shower. Scrub mixture on skin and rinse well. Your skin will feel incredibly soft afterwards, like silk!
- Lavender Sugar Scrub for Face: 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup almond oil, 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil, 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract, and 15 drops lavender essential oil.
- Brown Sugar Vanilla Scrub: 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup almond oil, 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil, and 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.
- Pumpkin Pie Sugar Scrub: 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil, and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or just 1/2 tsp cinnamon).
- Lemon Sugar Scrub: This works well as a hand scrub for after you’ve washed the dishes. All you need is 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil, 15-20 drops (or more) of lemon or orange essential oil.
These scrubs last on the counter top for up to 2 months (or more). Just ensure that water doesn’t get into the mixture when you use it as it won’t last as long or work as well.
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products.
* * *
Ever made your own sugar scrub or beauty products before? How did it go? Let me know in the comments below!
Wells, Katie. (January 23, 2019). Luxurious Sugar Scrub Recipe for Silky Smooth Skin. Wellness Mama. Retrieved from https://wellnessmama.com/3628/sugar-scrub/