Take your taco, sandwich, salad, burger, nourish bowl and avocado toast to the next level with this super easy pickled red onion recipe!
You are going to love this! Its got that flavour punch to give any savoury meal that X factor it needs to take it to the NEXT LEVEL!
What’s more, pickled red onions come with wonderful health benefits:
- Supports the gut, improving digestion
- Strengthens and supports a healthy immune system
- May help to alleviate heart burn.
As pickled red onions are a fermented food, they contains high levels of probiotics and digestive enzymes which help support gut health, delivering a hit of beneficial gut bacteria and boosting the immune system!
Before we get started in learning how to make these pickled red onions – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
If you make these pickled onions, please let me know! Leave a comment below, and if you take a picture and share it, please tag me on Instagram @simplynaturalnessa or use the hashtag #simplynaturalnessa so I can see! I’d love to know how you went!
Homemade Pickled Red Onions
Only 5 basic ingredients needed: red onions, white vinegar, water, sugar, and sea salt.
The onions will be ready to eat once they’ve turned bright pink and become tender. This could take anywhere from 1 hour to overnight, depending on the thickness of your onions.
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 tbsp raw sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- Slice the red onions as thin as you can. Using a mandolin is helpful.
- Fill jars with sliced red onions.
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat, combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, and water and stir until sugar dissolves. Let cool and pour over the onions, making sure they’re fully immersed in the liquid. Set aside to cool and ferment. Once done, cover and store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. It’s important to check with a doctor before taking this or any new product, especially if taking any other medicine or supplement or if pregnant or nursing. Be sure to check ingredients to make sure there is no risk of an allergic reaction.
Have you made pickled foods before? How did it go? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,