Super easy, homemade 2-ingredient hemp milk that’s super creamy, and best of all… refreshing!!! Oh, and delicious too, can’t forget that. 😉 Let me show you how.
Now the first time I EVER tried hemp milk was at the Sydney vegan markets last year, and wow… I have got to say it’s still one of the most refreshing drinks I’ve ever had!
Now, I do love making all different sorts of plant milks, and whipping together different variations of each, but hemp is till by far one of my favourites. I love taking it out on hikes with me, as it’s such a great way to hydrate and cool down, and did I mention how refreshing it is? 😜 (You’re going to hear me say that A LOT this post).
Now some people get confused about hemp, believing it to be like marijuana. So, just to make sure we’re all on the same page, hemp does indeed come from the cannabis plant too, but it is not psychoactive like marijuana. In fact, hemp contains a whole range of health benefits, and is rich in nutrients like healthy fats and essential fatty acids, is a great source of protein, and is high in vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulphur, calcium, iron and zinc (among many other things). (1)
When making hemp milk, you don’t need to soak the seeds before blending them (which is often required when making nut milks such as cashew or almond milk). But, as always, if you’d like to soak them anyway you’re more than welcome. It’s great for deactivating antinutrients found naturally in these plant foods.
You can also sweeten up this delicious milk by adding sweeteners like stevia, maple syrup, dates, honey (or other sweeteners of choice). OR, for a fun twist, you can change up the flavour by including add-ins like cacao powder (for a chocolate milk twist), or cinnamon to give it a little extra zing!
My sister photobombing 😂
Ok then! Let’s get started!
Before we jump straight into learning how to make this super delicious AND refreshing hemp milk – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes and tips I share!
If you want to make and share, please tag me on Instagram @simplynaturalnessa or use the hashtag #simplynaturalnessa! I’d love to know how it went for you! It’s so wonderful to see your creations and recipes!
Hemp Milk Recipe
A super easy and quick way to make homemade hemp milk with with only 2 ingredients, in less than 5 minutes! This milk is perfect for smoothies, granola, to use in baking, or even to sip on it’s own!
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 2 cups water (you can add more or less depending on how creamy you want the hemp milk to be)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 whole date, pitted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cacao powder (for “chocolate milk”)
- 1/4 cup berries (for “berry milk”)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Add hemp seeds, water, salt, and any additional add-ins (optional) to a high-speed blender.
- Blend for about 1 minute or until well combined.
- Taste test a little of the milk to see if it’s at your desired flavour/sweetness. Add more dates, salt, or vanilla as needed.
- You can strain the mixture if you wish (I almost always do), but it’s not a must. If you do decide to strain it, pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, cheese cloth, very thin towel, clean T-shirt, or nut milk bag (this is the one I use) over a large mixing bowl.
- Once strained, tip the milk directly into a sealed container (I simply store it in a jar – it’s a great way to reuse leftover jars from other products you’ve bought!) and refrigerate.
- The milk will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days (sometimes more). Enjoy cold (and shake well) for best results.
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker’s recipe, How To Make Hemp Milk.
Below is a quick run-through video of how I make hemp milk.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Lots of love,