A great zero-waste idea for repurposing old, used sauce bottles, and other plastic items!
Anything and everything DIY that can be made from recycled materials like plastic, you bet I’m on it. Zero-waste living has become a big part of my life, and something I aim to improve on with each day. My most recent low-waste DIY (before this) was making hair ties from old stockings, but I discovered this great DIY from The Links Site, where they made earrings from old, used milk cartons!
I bought some earring hooks and jump rings, and collected an old sauce bottle my roommate had finished with.
My replication of these earrings turned out SO WELL! And because they were such a huge success, I thought I’d share how to make them with you all.
Before we get started in learning how to make these upcycled earrings – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
If you make these earrings, please let me know! Leave a comment below, and if you take a picture and share it, please tag me on Instagram @simplynaturalnessa or use the hashtag #simplynaturalnessa so I can see! I’d love to know how you went!
Upcycled Earrings from Sauce Bottles
A great zero-waste idea to repurpose old, used sauce bottles, or other plastic items.
- 2 earring hooks
- 2 jump rings
- 1 old sauce bottle, washed and dried
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 pair of small pliers
- 1 sharp tool
- To remove the sauce bottle label, soak the bottle is hot water for 5-10 minutes. This will soften the label and make it easier to remove. Use your nail to scratch off the edge of the sticky label and peel away. Let the sauce bottle dry completely before proceeding to the next step.
- Once dry, cut a wide strip of plastic from the bottle.
- Using this plastic strip, cut six strips so that you end up with six thin pieces.
- Now it’s time to make the different size strips for the loops. Make two of your thin strips as 6 cm long, another two will need to measure 5 cm in length – so you’ll need to trim those – and the remaining two will measure 4 cm in length.
- Using a tool with a sharp point, make a small hole in both ends, just down from the tops of each plastic strip.
- Now, to make the earrings; start off by pulling open the jump ring with some pliers. Once pulled slightly apart, thread one of the smallest strips onto the jump ring so that it forms a loop. Next, add one of the medium strips to the jump ring, making a bigger loop around the first one. Finally, thread one of the longest strips onto the jump ring so that it forms an even bigger loop around the other two. You should now have three loops increasing in size. To finish off, add an earring hook to the jump ring and use pliers to close the ring.
- Repeat to make other earring.
And there you have it, you’re very own DIY earrings! They’re so trendy!
DIY method and idea adapted from The Links Site.
DIY earrings tutorial
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. It’s important to check with a doctor before taking this or any new product, especially if taking any other medicine or supplement or if pregnant or nursing. Be sure to check ingredients to make sure there is no risk of an allergic reaction.
Have you made earrings or other items before? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,