Anything and everything DIY that can be made from recycled materials like plastic, you betcha I’m on it. Zero-waste living has become a huge part of my life, and something I aim to improve on with each day. My most recent low-waste DIY (before this) was making hair ties from old stockings, but I discovered this great DIY (from The Links Site) which involved making earrings from old sauce bottles! It’s such a great way to upcycle.
I bought some earring hooks and jump rings, and collected an old sauce bottle my roommate had finished with.
My replication of these earrings turned out SO WELL! And because they were such huge success, I thought I’d share a post on how to make these studs (like the pun 😉 ) yourself.
Before we get started in learning how to make these upcycled earrings – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
Upcycled Earrings from Sauce Bottles
A great zero-waste idea to repurpose old, used sauce bottles, or other plastic items.
- Earring hooks
- Jump rings
- Old sauce bottle
- Small pliers
- Sharp tool
- To remove the sauce bottle label, soak the bottle is hot water for 5-10 minutes. This will soften the label and make it easier to remove. Use your nail to scratch off the edge of the sticky label and peel off as so. Let the sauce bottle dry before proceeding onto the next step.
- Once dry, cut a piece of plastic from the sauce bottle. I cut the bottom of the bottle off and from there, cut a piece of plastic from the top part of the bottle (doing this made it easier to access and cut). The plastic piece needs to be approx. 7.5 cm (3 inches) wide along one side.
- From this plastic piece, cut six strips so that you end up with 6 thin pieces that are 4-5 mm wide and 7.5 cm long.
- Now it’s time to make the different sizes for the loops. Keep two of your thin strips as 7.5 cm long, another two will need to measure 6 cm in length (so you’ll need to trim those), and the remaining two will measure 4.5 cm in length (again, you’ll need to trim these to size).
- Using a tool with a sharp point, make a small hole in both ends, approx. 2mm down from the tops, of each plastic strip.
- Now, to make the earrings; start off by pulling open the jump ring with some pliers. Once pulled slightly apart, thread one of the 4.5 cm strips (the smallest strips) onto the jump ring so that it forms a loop. Next, add one of the 6 cm strips (the medium-length strips) to the jump ring, making a bigger loop around the first one. Finally, thread one of the 7.5 cm strips (the longest strips) onto the jump ring so that it forms an even bigger loop around the other two. You should now have three loops increasing in size. To finish off, add an earring hook to the jump ring and use the pliers to close up the jump ring.
- Repeat to make other earring.
And there you have it, you’re very own DIY earrings! Enjoy!! They are SO trendy!
DIY method and idea adapted from The Links Site.
DIY earrings tutorial
Lots of love,