“Oh… my… gosh…” is what you’ll be saying when you try these! 🤤 They are one of the best double choc chip cookies I have ever tasted (even if I do say so myself 😉) and my whole family loves them! (even the non-vegan eaters in my fam).
How I came to make these cookies is quite a story. I was craving a delicious vegan gluten-free treat that I could quickly whip up in the kitchen on one of those cool, rainy days. It was one of those curl-up-on-the-couch-and-watch-movies-with-your-bowl-of-cookies kinda days 😜. But the thing was, in the past, the vegan gluten-free cookies I’ve tried have been quite dry and unappealing to me. I’m a gooey/chewy cookie kinda person, so I didn’t want cookies that would crumble as soon as I bit into them.
I also didn’t want any pre-made, store-bought ones as; 1. there aren’t many vegan AND gluten-free options at the shops (it’s usually one or the other), and 2. they usually contain a heap of additives, preservatives, gums, stabilisers, thickeners, etc. (you name it) in them, which I didn’t want to put into my body. I wanted something more natural. So, that’s when I went roaming the internet in search of a recipe I could create.
This mouth-watering, chewy, gooey, soft, delectable cookie recipe by Pick Up Limes (she is amazing!) is the recipe I came across, and absolutely loved. I altered and tweaked the recipe a little in order to make it gluten-free, and it turned out a treat and has now become my go-to healthy dessert recipe when I have friends come over, or when my sisters ask if I can make them cookies again.
I hope you love them as much as we do!
Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cookies
This cookie recipe is great because it’s so filling and quite sweet that you easily get your chocolate fix without eating too much. The recipe contains natural sweeteners (none of that artificial stuff) and goes deliciously well with a glass of homemade almond milk.
They’re certainly not a treat to be eaten daily, but these cookies are a delicious (and more healthy) way to eat a treat without the harmful effects of grains and additives.
Gooey Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
These cookies will “have you at hello.” 😋
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, not melted
- 2/3 cup organic brown sugar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk such as almond milk
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea/Himalayan salt
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (or you can use almond or oat flour if you like)
- 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate, chopped ( I usually use choc chips)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F).
- Using a fork, cream together the coconut oil and brown sugar in a large bowl. Then add the vanilla, maple syrup, plant milk, cacao powder, and whisk until combined.
- Next, add the baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk again until well combined. If the mixture looks clumpy, that’s okay! Just a side note: if the temperature is warm where you are, you may want to think about chilling the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes to help firm it up; otherwise the cookies flatten and spread too much when they’re baking in the oven.
- Add in the flour and stir until just-combined (ensure you do not over stir). Then gently fold in the chopped chocolate (make sure you reserve a small amount of the chopped chocolate to place on top of the cookies before baking for presentation).
- Form little balls out of the dough and evenly distribute, about 5 cm (2 inches) apart, on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Remember: reserve a bit of the chopped chocolate to sprinkle on the top for presentation.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden and the tops look set (depending on how you like your cookies – either crunchy or chewy – you may want to take them out earlier or a little later). Let them cool for around 1 minute or so on the baking tray before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products.
* * *
If you try this recipe, let me know how it went! Comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #simplynaturalnessa
Badiei, Sadia. (March 9, 2018). One-bowl Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies. Pick Up Limes. Retrieved from https://www.pickuplimes.com/single-post/2018/03/08/One-bowl-Chewy-Double-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies