My go-to cashew cheese recipe for a creamy and delicious vegan cheese at home — no fermentation required!
I thought my cheese days were behind me when I made the transition to veganism, but thankfully not.
Cashew cheese requires only 12 ingredients! Just soak the cashews, blend with seasonings, drain the excess liquid, and chill in the fridge. Then bon appétit!
Once finished, I like to garnish with fresh dill from my garden. It’s seriously delicious.
This cheese is best kept chilled. It does do well for a couple of hours out of the fridge, but will keep best when properly stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
This cheese goes well with almost everything; dollop it on soups, add it to salads, stuffed eggplant, mushrooms, capsicum, pastas, nourish bowls, and everything in between. Spread it on crackers, even sandwiches. You can’t go wrong with it.
Before we get started in learning how to make this creamy cashew cheese – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
Homemade Garlic & Herb Cashew Cream Cheese
This cream cheese is infused with garlic, herbs, and lemon to give it a burst of flavour. It’s everything you could want in a cheese.
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 12 hours (or overnight)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- Soak cashews in a large bowl of cool water with a little sea salt added for 12 hours.
- Drain cashews well and add to a food processor or blender, along with the oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Process until creamy and smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Over a large bowl, place a fine mesh strainer and lay down two layers of cheesecloth or a nut milk bag.
- Pour cheese over the cheesecloth, then gather the corners and twist the top gently to create a “disc” with the cheese. Secure with a rubber band.
- Place in the fridge to drain and set for at least 12 hours, or until excess moisture has gone and it holds its shape when removed from the cheesecloth.
- To serve, unwrap from the cheesecloth and gently place the cheese onto a serving board. You may need to reform it a little with your hands, then coat with chopped herbs and some salt.
- The cheese will hold its form for 1-2 hours out of the fridge, but it’s best when chilled. Leftovers will keep stored in the fridge for up to one week.
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. I am not a doctor. All opinions expressed are my own personal thoughts and feelings of the products mentioned. Check with your doctor or health practitioner if you are uncertain about trying out any of the products, recipes or tips mentioned in this post.
Have you made vegan cheese before? How did it go? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,