My go-to cashew cheese recipe for a creamy and delicious vegan cheese at home — no fermentation required!
I thought my cheese days were behind me when I made the transition to veganism, but thankfully, no. Cashew cheese is here to save the day!
This recipe is so simple, requiring only 12 ingredients! Just soak the cashews, blend with seasonings, drain the excess liquid, and chill in the fridge – then bon appétit!
Once finished, I like to garnish with fresh dill from my garden; it’s seriously delicious.
This cheese is best kept chilled. It does do well for a couple of hours out of the fridge, and will keep for up to one week when properly stored in an airtight container, chilled.
This cheese goes well with almost everything – dollop it on soups, add it to salads, stuffed eggplant, mushrooms, capsicum, pastas, nourish bowls, and everything in between. Spread it on crackers, even sandwiches. You can’t go wrong with it.
Before we get started in learning how to make this creamy cashew cheese – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
If you make this cashew cheese, please let me know! Leave a comment below, and if you take a picture and share it, please tag me on Instagram @simplynaturalnessa or use the hashtag #simplynaturalnessa so I can see! I’d love to know how you went!
DIY Garlic & Herb Cashew Cream Cheese
This creamy cheese is infused with garlic, herbs, and lemon to give it a burst of flavour. It’s all you could ever want in a cheese.
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 12 hours (or overnight)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- Soak cashews in a large bowl of cool water, with a little sea salt added, for 12 hours.
- Drain cashews well, and add to food processor or blender, along with oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Process/blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Over a large bowl, place a fine mesh strainer and lay down two layers of cheesecloth or a nut milk bag.
- Pour cheese over the cheesecloth, then gather the corners and twist the top gently to form the cheese into a “disc.” Secure with a rubber band.
- Place in the fridge to drain and set for at least 12 hours, or until excess moisture has gone, and it holds its shape when removed from the cheesecloth/nut milk bag.
- To serve, unwrap from cheesecloth and gently place onto a serving board. You may need to reform it a little with your hands, then coat with chopped herbs and some salt.
- The cheese will hold its form for 1-2 hours out of the fridge, but it’s best when chilled. Leftovers will keep stored in the fridge for up to one week.
DIY cashew cream cheese tutorial
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. It’s important to check with a doctor before taking this or any new product, especially if taking any other medicine or supplement or if pregnant or nursing. Be sure to check ingredients to make sure there is no risk of an allergic reaction.
Have you made vegan cheese before? How did it go? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,