An easy way to sneak healthy ingredients into delicious fudgy brownies. No need to tell what’s inside until they’re halfway through and asking for the recipe!
It seems absurd to put black beans into something as deliciously-sweet as chocolate brownies, but trust me, it works.
They’re fudgy, sweet, and are one of the best brownies I’ve had to date. The best part… You only need a blender and a muffin tin to make them. That means hardly any washing up afterwards! Who doesn’t love avoiding doing the dishes?
The outside of these brownies has a crispy texture, while the inside is all gooey and fudgy melt-in-your-mouth chocolatey goodness.
Before we get started in learning how to make these delicious fudgy black bean brownies – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
Homemade Vegan Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies
Black bean brownies that require just one blender and about 30 minutes to make! A healthy, delicious dessert that can be enjoyed any time of day.
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 tbsp water)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Vegan chocolate chips
- Crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F), then lightly grease a standard-size muffin tray with some coconut oil. Rinse and drain your tin of black beans.
- Prepare flax egg by combining flaxseed meal and water in a blender, and pulse a couple of times to combine. Set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except toppings) and blend until a nice purée forms. The batter should be smooth but not runny.
- Evenly pour the batter into each muffin mould, smooth over the tops, then sprinkle with desired toppings.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops have dried and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the muffin tray.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan. They’ll be tender as the insides are meant to be super fudgy, so ensure you remove them gently.
- These brownies can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for a few days, but refrigerate to keep longer.
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. I am not a doctor. All opinions expressed are my own personal thoughts and feelings of the products mentioned. Check with your doctor or health practitioner if you are uncertain about trying out any of the products, recipes or tips mentioned in this post.
Have you added black beans to desserts like this before? What did you make? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,