We all know about banana ice cream (a.k.a “nice cream”), but have you heard about the new fruit-based ice cream in town? It’s avocado ice cream, which is simply ice cream made with creamy avocados, and it is the bomb! And yes, avocado is a fruit. *Shock horror* right 😉 It was a surprise to me too when I first learnt that, as I always thought of fruits as sweet, and avocado was always more of a savoury food for me.
Some of you may be thinking, “Eewwww, avocado in ice cream is a no-go.” But trust me, you won’t even taste the avo in this recipe, it simply adds a delicious creamy texture, with the added bonus of healthy fats rather than sugar! (which usually occurs in ice-creams made with bananas).
So, for a delicious, suuuper creamy, dairy-free ice cream recipe in celebration of the mighty avocado, scroll down for the six ingredient recipe on how to make this awesome treat, no ice cream machine required!
How To Make Avocado Ice Cream
A creamy mint chocolate chip ice cream that’s vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and paleo-friendly, as it’s made with avocados, coconut oil, and almond milk.
Full credit for this recipe goes to Eating Bird Food ❤️ Avocados have a super mild flavour so you barely taste them in this recipe. Instead, your avo ice cream will take on the flavours you add to it. I subbed in mint and choc chips as suggested by the lovely Brittany, but you can honestly add whatever flavour variations that tickle your fancy.
The best part about this recipe is you don’t need any fancy equipment, like an ice cream maker. A high-powered blender or food processor will work just fine.
If you try this avocado ice cream, please be sure to leave a comment and star rating letting me know how it turns out for you. This feedback is not only helpful for me but it helps other SNN readers as well! Thank you immensely, I really appreciate it!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, honey or other liquid sweetener (feel free to use your sweetener of choice here, like stevia)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips (or cacao nibs for a healthier option)
- Add all of the ingredients (except the choc chips) into your blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Next, stir in the chocolate chips then transfer the mixture over to a freezer-safe container. I used a loaf pan and lined it with baking paper!
- Put the container in the freezer and let the ice cream set for 4-5 hours.
- Once frozen, bring the ice cream back out and let sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes to let it soften.
- Use an ice cream scoop (I just used a spoon, but if you want those gorgeous circular scoops, an ice cream scoop works best) to serve and enjoy!
AVOCADO ICE CREAM VIDEO:
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share with me how it went in the comments below! Or better yet, if you post it up on Insta, tag @simplynaturalnessa and hashtag it #simplynaturalnessa.
Like this recipe? Here are some more vegan no-bake desserts you might like!
Lots of Love,