I’ve shared a recipe for peanut butter cups before, but here is my latest spin on these chocolatey treats: Almond Butter Mousse Cups!
Devine inspiration struck just as I was drifting off to sleep one night. Almond butter cups, with a mousse-y twist. I quickly made a note of it on my phone so I wouldn’t forget, and got cracking on creating the recipe the next morning.
These delicious sweets are like heaven in a cup… oh so sweet, with a creamy centre – kind of like a crème egg, only better.
Utter perfection. There’s no going wrong with these babies. You bring these out at a party, and I guarantee they’ll be gone within the hour.
So, rather than indulging in the white sugar, preservative–packed candy that’s also individually wrapped in single-use plastic wrapping, switch it up for this healthier twist on peanut butter cups that can be made with almond butter or peanut butter (or even hazelnut butter for a nutella-like chocolate cup!).
Before we get started in learning how to make these delicious mousse-y almond butter cups – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
DIY Vegan Almond Butter Mousse Cups
5-ingredients and only 30 minutes from start to finish! These almond butter cups have a rich dark chocolate outer shell, with a gooey almond butter and coconut whipped cream mousse centre.
- 1 1/4 cups organic vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream, chilled in the fridge overnight*
- 3-4 tbsp natural almond butter*
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- In a high-speed blender or chilled mixing bowl, add the coconut milk or cream. Reserve any clear liquid for other recipes – smoothies, baking, juices, etc. Blend for 30 seconds, or use a hand mixer to beat for 30 seconds, then add the sugar, whip again, then the almond butter and whip to combine. Pop in the fridge to firm.
- Add some water to a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Place a heat-proof bowl over the top to create a double boiler, then add in the chocolate chips. Stir continuously until melted, then add the coconut oil and mix to combine.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the chocolate mixture to the bottom of some mini-liners set out on a muffin tray. Using the back of the spoon, spread the chocolate mix up the sides of each liner.
- Pop in the fridge or freezer to set for 10 minutes.
- Spoon in 1 tablespoon of the mousse filling in each cup. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- With the remaining chocolate, pour over the tops of the cups to completely cover. Place back in the fridge to set, and once thoroughly chilled, sprinkle with a little sea salt then cover and store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
*Macro brand is the best for coconut milk and coconut cream I’ve found.
*Make sure your nut butter is made from just almonds with no added fillers or sweeteners.
DIY almond mousse cups tutorial
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. I am not a doctor. All opinions expressed are my own personal thoughts and feelings of the products mentioned. Check with your doctor or health practitioner if you are uncertain about trying out any of the products, recipes or tips mentioned in this post.
Have you made chocolatey treats like this before? What were they like? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,