Here it is – my go-to homemade hot chocolate that’s way better (and healthier) than any packaged mix you’ll find at the store.
I just love cute, thrifty gifts! Which is how this hot cocoa powder mix came to be.
I wanted to gift my friends and family something they would actually use – because in the past I’ve made them gifts that sat idly away in a cupboard or closet somewhere, never used.
Hot cocoa is a crowd favourite, and something that is so easy to make. Plus, it keeps for ages, so can be stored away in the pantry ready for when a craving for something warm and chocolatey arises.
I sent a little care package to my fam via post (as I couldn’t be there in person this Christmas), consisting of a few jars of this hot cocoa powder blend, a candle for my twin sister (one she loves), some Buderim dried ginger for my dad (he LOVES it), and a vintage postcard with a little note and the recipe for this cocoa powder written on the back.
They loved it!
Plastic-free, easy to make, cheap and usable!
What are some of the easy thriftable gifts you’ve either received or given before?
For this hot cocoa, all you need are a few simple ingredients:
- Unsweetened almond milk (I love making my own)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vegan dark chocolate
- Coconut sugar or stevia
I source all my ingredients from The Source Bulk Foods to keep the process plastic-free, plus organic. I store my cocoa drink powder in a glass jar so no plastic chemicals leach into the powder, either.
You can even add some vanilla extract to “bring out the flavour of the chocolate,” or give your hot cocoa a minty hint by adding in a drop or two of peppermint extract.
Before we get started in learning how to make this 3-ingredient hot cocoa mix – if you like what you’re seeing, subscribe to my email newsletter at the bottom of the page to keep up to date on the latest recipes, DIYs, gardening and health tips I share!!
3-Ingredient Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix
Creamy perfection is just 3-ingredients away…
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar, powdered
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegan mini marshmallows (optional)
- Coconut whipped cream, to serve
- Grated vegan chocolate, for topping
- In a high speed blender, add the chocolate chips, cocoa powder and coconut sugar and blend until a fine powder forms. This make enough for two 16oz mason jars.
- Fill your jar(s) 3/4 full with the hot cocoa powder mix, then top with marshmallows (optional), seal tightly and either gift to loved ones or store in your pantry.
- To make the hot cocoa; add 1 cup of almond milk to a saucepan set over medium heat. Once the milk is warm, add hot cocoa powder mix and whisk to combine. Continue heating on stovetop until the powder has combined with the milk, and the milk has reached your desired temperature (don’t overheat).
- Pour hot cocoa into your favourite mug, add in a little vanilla extract (optional) and stir to combine, then top with some coconut whipped cream and grated chocolate.
DIY vegan hot cocoa tutorial
As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor before trying or using any new products. I am not a doctor. All opinions expressed are my own personal thoughts and feelings of the products mentioned. Check with your doctor or health practitioner if you are uncertain about trying out any of the products, recipes or tips mentioned in this post.
Have you made your own hot cocoa powder before? How was it? Share in the comments below.
Lots of love,